The adventure of a lifetime for teens! (ages 13 to 19)
“The thing I enjoy the most is the community we build – it starts out with almost nothing and builds until we’re almost like family.” –Cameron, 16 years old
This 11-day Quest with canoes is an adventure where we invite you to paddle among the loons, portage from one lake to the other, begin unforgettable friendships, swim, relax, play, and laugh uncontrollably in the beautiful setting of the Moose River in Maine.
- Learn to trust yourself and to know that you can trust others
- Develop skills in Nonviolent Direct Action cultivating Empathy as a First Response in any situation
- Develop your Wilderness skills while learning to canoe
- Experience nature interdependently
- Enjoy cooking and feasting with incredible organic camp meals
- Move Beyond Acceptance into Enjoyment of Differences
- Cultivate your leadership “style” with an Interdependence model
- Take risks in a safe environment to learn your own truths
- Initiate yourself into Being Nonviolence and how to BE the change that you want to see in the world
OUR DAYS TOGETHER:
Play in the Wild! Animators will offer opportunities in Being Nonviolence through Taiji (Tai Chi), Qigong, Yoga, Mindfulness Practices, Journal Writing, Meditation, Nonviolent Communication, Storytelling, Vision Quest, Canoeing, Swimming, Tracking the Inner and Outer Wild, Cooking, Outdoor Leadership Skills and Games, Wilderness Skills and lots more!
LIVING IN COMMUNITY:
We will engage in the practices of becoming more attuned to what motivates us and choosing strategies that will bring the most aliveness and connection to ourselves and the group. We will create a safe nonjudgmental environment focused on Being Nonviolence. This requests each of us to leave alcohol, recreational drugs, guns, weapons, and smoking at home. After opening circle we will have a ceremonial “unplugging” where we will place all electronics in a safe space to be held for the duration of our time together. This is to give us a unique journey of returning to connection with ourselves, each other, and the land we live on. Folks are welcome to “plug” back into the matrix after closing circle.
This Quest begins at Wild Heart Refuge, our 64-acre home base tucked into the valleys and woodlands of Northern Vermont, and will take us to the wilderness of Northern Maine and the Moose River, situated near the town of Jackman. We will paddle what is called the Moose River Bow Trip which will take us to Attean and Holeb Ponds, through a few amazing portages and down the Moose River. On our adventure, we will encounter some small rapids; beautiful, quiet campsites; animals and winged-ones in their natural habitat; sandy beaches and landscape that will take your breath away.
Hours from this training can be applied to certiﬁcation with the Center for Nonviolent Communication and may apply towards course study in certain schools or CEUs.
We will create a rotation of leadership and support to provide meals for the whole group. We will provide organic lacto-ovo vegetarian meals. In the tradition of Play in the Wild!, these will be gourmet, unique, delicious ﬂavors from around the world adapted for the trail.
- Participants flying into Montreal Trudeau Airport (YUL): We will provide airport pick-up and drop-off. Plan to arrive no later than 3pm on August 1st. We will not do any pick ups from Montreal Airport on August 2nd or 3rd. Plan to depart no earlier than 7pm on August 14th. If you arrive or depart outside of these times we will not be able to provide airport pick-up and drop-off.
- Participants flying into Burlington International Airport (BTV): We will provide airport pick-up and drop-off. Plan to arrive no earlier than noon on August 2nd and no later than 11:00AM on August 3rd. Plan to depart no earlier than 4pm on August 14th. If you arrive or depart outside of these times we will not be able to provide airport pick-up and drop-off.
- Local participants being dropped off at Wild! Heart Refuge: Plan to arrive no later than 3pm on August 3rd and depart no earlier than 1pm on August 14th.
We offer our work freely in service to peace. At the same time, we request monetary contributions to cover the costs of this unique program and offer sustainability for Play in the Wild! and the Animator Team that makes it all possible:
- $25 non-refundable Application Fee with your Wild! application
- $1244 Tuition – This contribution covers costs of insurance, materials, all food, transportation and equipment rentals for the Quest, sustainability for Play in the Wild! and the Animators leading the training, and miscellaneous surprises.
All amounts are in USD.
If you are concerned about your ability to meet the Tuition request, but feel genuinely called to the Canoe Quest, we invite you to still apply. During our interview, we can help you find a creative solution, and discuss alternative payment plans.
If you are able to contribute more than the requested amount and would like to help make this Training accessible to everyone regardless of where they come from, consider making a donation. Your donation can be applied directly towards the Tuition of applicants with limited financial resources.
- Click on the Sign Up Here! button at the bottom of this page to fill out an online Application and submit your $25 application fee.
- After we receive your Application and application fee, we will schedule an interview with you by phone or Skype to see if this program is a fit for your needs and to assess medical or behavioral histories that could pose a threat to your safety or the safety of others. If there is mutual agreement in the interview that the program is a fit, then we will send you a Registration Packet.
- Fill out the Registration Packet and return it to Play in the Wild! along with your full $1244 Tuition (unless an alternative financial arrangement has been made during your interview).
- Once we receive both your completed Registration Packet and full Tuition, you are fully registered. Until then, we will not guarantee your place in the Canoe Quest.
If you have any questions about the Canoe Quest, including the Registration process, feel free to contact us. We are happy to respond.