See page in Français
The adventure of a lifetime for teens! (ages 12 to 17)
This Quest offers a backpack adventure on the Skåneleden Trail of Sweden.
“I am returning home with more courage, more endurance and a better understanding of my environment.” Cèdric, 14 years old
- Develop your Wilderness skills and learn the joy of sleeping outside under the stars
- Trust yourself and know that you can trust others
- Enjoy cooking and feasting with incredible organic camp meals
- Discover how to make choices that serve you and others
- Find freedom from fearing what others might think of you
- Transform judgment and finally have the conversations that have meaning for you
- Practice speaking your truth and listening deeply with empathy
- Live in community and learn the interdependence you have with ALL life
- Initiate yourself into Being Nonviolence and how to BE the change that you want to see in the world
OUR DAYS TOGETHER:
Play in the Wild! Animators will offer practices in Being Nonviolence through Yoga, Mindfulness Practices, Meditation, Nonviolent Communication, Storytelling, Vision Quest, Swimming, Tracking the Inner and Outer Wild, Cooking, and lots more! Animators on team will include (but not limited to) Catherine Cadden and Chris Wilden.
LIVING IN COMMUNITY:
We will engage in the practices of becoming more attuned to what motivates us and choosing strategies that will bring the most aliveness and connection to ourselves and with the group. We will create a safe, nonjudgmental environment focused on Being Nonviolence. This requests each of us to leave alcohol, recreational drugs, guns, weapons, and smoking at home. After opening circle we will have a ceremonial “unplugging” where we will place all electronics in a safe space to be held for the duration of our time together. This is to give us a unique journey of returning to connection with ourselves, each other, and the land we live on. Folks are welcome to “plug” back into the matrix after closing circle.
We were honored to collaborate in creating a Community Camp for three years in a row in the United Kingdom with Mathias Granum and Alea Moreno. Now we are incredibly excited they will host us on their land for Base Camp for this Quest! The school of Epos is located in the town of Fynshav on the island of Als in Sønderjylland Please see more about the incredible work they do in Denmark. http://efterskolen-epos.dk/
We will travel together by car and ferry to The Skåneleden Trail in the beautiful countryside of Skåne, in the very south of Sweden. We will take our trek in the third section of the trail at Ås-åsleden, 162 km – Stretching from Åstorp to Brösarp. This part of the Skåneleden Trail runs through Söderåsens National Park – Skåne’s largest national park.
Hours from this Quest can be applied to certiﬁcation with the Center for Nonviolent Communication and may apply towards course study in certain schools or CEUs.
We will create a rotation of leadership and support to provide meals for the whole group. We will provide organic lacto-ovo vegetarian meals. In the tradition of Play in the Wild!, these will be gourmet, unique, delicious ﬂavors from around the world especially suited for the trail.
- Participants traveling by Air, plan to fly into Copenhagen Airport no later than 5pm on August 2nd and depart no earlier than 3pm on August 10th. We will provide airport pick-up and drop-off.
- Participants traveling by Ferry – Epos is a few minutes walk from the Bøjden-Fynshav ferry, which can be used by students from Funen and Zealand. Plan to arrive no later than 2pm on August 3rd.
- Participants traveling by Car – From Århus, the journey time is 2h. 5 min. by car, and from Aalborg 3t. 8 min. Plan to arrive no later than 2pm on August 3rd.
- Participants traveling by Train – Nearest train station is Sønderborg station, from where buses continue to Fynshav. If the bus does not fit, you can also order a flextax for a reasonable price. Just remember that a flextax must be ordered in good time and no later than 2 hours before. Plan to arrive no later than 2pm on August 3rd.
- Participants being dropped off onsite – Plan to arrive no later than 2pm on August 3rd.
We offer our work freely in service to peace. At the same time, we request monetary contributions to cover the costs of this unique program and offer sustainability for Play in the Wild! and the Animator Team that makes it all possible:
- $55USD non-refundable Application Fee with your Wild! application
- $1235USD Tuition – This contribution covers costs of insurance, materials, all food, park fees, transportation and equipment rentals for the Quest, donation to facility use, sustainability for Play in the Wild! and the Animators leading the training, and miscellaneous surprises.
If you are concerned about your ability to meet the Tuition request, but feel genuinely called to the Backpack Quest, we invite you to still apply. During our interview, we can help you find a creative solution, and discuss alternative payment plans.
If you are able to contribute more than the requested amount and would like to help make this Training accessible to everyone regardless of where they come from, consider making a donation. Your donation can be applied directly towards the Tuition of applicants with limited financial resources.
- Click on the Sign Up Here! button at the bottom of this page to fill out an online Application and submit your $55 application fee.
- After we receive your Application and application fee, we will schedule an interview with you by phone or Zoom to see if this program is a fit for your needs and to assess medical or behavioral histories that could pose a threat to your safety or the safety of others. If there is mutual agreement in the interview that the program is a fit, then we will send you a Registration Packet.
- Fill out the Registration Packet and return it to Play in the Wild! along with your full $1235Tuition (unless an alternative financial arrangement has been made during your interview).
- Once we receive both your completed Registration Packet and full Tuition, you are fully registered. Until then, we will not guarantee your place in the Backpack Quest.
If you have any questions about the Backpack Quest, including the Registration process, feel free to contact us. We are happy to respond.